- Cultural studies on agency & cultural criticism
- Traditional LIS accounts of patron agency
- Examples of how to encourage agency
Cultural Studies & Agency
"Capitol Crawl" for the ADA
1990 protest for Americans with Disabilities Act
Janice Radway, Reading the Romance and reader response criticism focusing on how readers use texts
Critiques of Library Discourse around Agency
- Problem-posing rather than banking model
- Signage that presents a theme rather than a set
- Investing in & displaying material collection with an eye to its pedagogical potential
- Burt, Laura. "Vivian Harsh, Adult Education, and the Library's Role as Community Center." Libraries & the Cultural Record vol. 44, no. 2, 2009, pp. 234-55.
- Buschman, John. Libraries, Classrooms, and the Interests of Democracy: Marking the Limits of Neoliberalism. The Scarecrow P, 2012.
- Giroux, Henry. "Schooling and the Culture of Positivism: Notes on the End of History." 1979. On Critical Pedagogy. Continuum International Publishing Group, 2011, pp. 19-47.
Works Cited, cont.
- Grossberg, Lawrence. Bringing It All Back Home: Essays on Cultural Studies. Duke UP, 1997.
- Radway, Janice A. Reading the Romance: Women, Patriarchy, and Popular Literature. U of North Carolina P, 1984.
- Wiegand, Wayne. "To Reposition a Research Agenda: What American Studies Can Teach the LIS Community about the Library in the Life of the User." The Library Quarterly, vol. 73, no. 4, 2003. pp. 369-82.
- Williams, Raymond. Keywords: A Vocabulary of Culture and Society. Oxford UP, 1976.